A camera driver is a software program that allows communication between your computer and webcam. You should update these drivers so that the camera runs smoothly. It is just like the update that you find on your mobile phone. iOS or Play Store sends you notifications to update some of the apps. Similarly, you also need to update your webcam driver to make your webcam run at its optimum condition.
Moreover, installing and updating the driver keeps the device at par with your operating system’s performance. For example, you update your operating system and some of the related hardware and software. But you forgot to update your webcam driver. You may notice glitches while using the camera. Updating the driver would solve this problem.
Why installing a camera driver?
Installing the webcam driver has multiple benefits:
- It makes your internet connection on the webcam stable. Sometimes, outdated drivers can’t connect to the internet properly. Your camera freezes, and you can’t speak to the other person freely. These problems will become a thing of the past once you install a camera driver.
- It ensures better performance of the webcam when you use it for games and audio applications. Many gamers make streaming videos where they use their webcam to interact with other players and followers. An outdated driver would interrupt the flow.
Outdated camera drivers often send error messages saying, “Webcam cannot be found,” or freeze when you are making a video call.
How to download the driver
Here are the steps to download the webcam driver to your computer or laptop:
- Go to your computer’s Control Panel.
- Click on System. You will find an option called Hardware. Click on Hardware.
- Under the dropdown list, click on Device Manager.
- You will see your webcam listed under Device Manager. Right-click on it and then click on Properties.
- Click on the General tab. This will show the make and model of the camera. Note this down as it will help to install the driver later.
- Now, open a web browser and type the manufacturer’s name to find its website.
- Once you find the website, use its search option to find your webcam’s driver. Type your webcam’s make and model in the search bar. The website should have the driver download option.
- Make sure you check your computer’s operating system version before downloading the driver. For example, whether you are using Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit version. Download the respective version for the driver software.
- Once the browser finishes downloading the driver, locate the software and double-click on it. It will ask you for some permissions. Allow all to proceed. It hardly takes a few minutes to install the driver.
- The driver may ask you to restart the computer to save the changes. Restart your computer and enjoy your updated camera.
- Webcams usually provide update notifications. You can install them right away or do it manually later by following the steps above.